To observe the colours produced by some chemicals when they are placed in the Bunsen flame.
Safety glasses and apron
Heat proof mat
Atomiser bottles containing 0.1 M solutions of the following chemicals:
1. Put on safety glasses and apron.
2. Set up the Bunsen burner on the heat proof mat.
3. Light Bunsen and adjust flame to 'blue flame'.
4. Gently spray the contents of the copper sulfate atomiser into the Bunsen flame.
5. Observe and record any colour change to the flame.
6. Repeat for the other solutions.
1. Describe any difficulties experienced during the practical.
2. Do you think that it is the metal part of the chemical substance or the other part that causes the colour change to the Bunsen flame? Explain.