Award Nominations & Criteria
Please see below for links to Nomination Forms and Criteria and consider nominating someone for the 2018 awards.
Nominations have now closed for 2018.
- SASTA Medal SASTA offers its members an award for excellent contribution to science education or teaching or both. Awarded to an individual who has made a significant contribution to SASTA and has been active in science education.
- Helen Castle Memorial Scholarship This scholarship is in memory of Helen Castle, a dedicated and enthusiastic science teacher who tragically died during the Eyre Peninsula bush fires in 2005. The scholarship is designed to assist country science teachers attend the SASTA conference and gain professional development to assist themselves and other country teachers to maintain a high standard of science teaching within country areas. This year two (2) scholarships of $500 will be awarded to enable country based science teachers to attend the SASTA Annual Conference
- Credit Union SA/SASTA Outstanding Teacher Awards The Outstanding Teacher Awards recognise teachers' contributions to the education of students in science. The award winner in each category will receive an award at an event which will be advised shortly.
SASTA Honour Award:
- The nominator must be a current member of SASTA
- The nominee must have been a member of SASTA for at least 5 years
- The nominee should have made a significant contribution to SASTA or have an active involvement in science education. This would include voluntary work in any of the following:
- SASTA committees or reference groups
- Representing SASTA
- Facilitating professional development
- Curriculum development
- Writing articles or books
BHP Billiton Science Awards
The BHP Billiton Science Teacher Awards are open to Australian permanent residents who are primary or secondary school science teachers currently teaching in the classroom (minimum teaching load 50%). One teacher from each state and territory is to be nominated by his or her local STA; in addition, the National CREST Coordinator will nominate a teacher. The nominee can not have been nominated for these Awards in the previous two years. Only one application per STA is permitted and the STA President must sign a statement to verify the sole application