South Australian schools (Catholic, Independent or Public) are invited to participate in the Andy Thomas Space Foundation Challenge. Students in Years 7, 8 and 9 will be competing for nine prizes of $4,000 each: (3 for metropolitan schools, 3 for rural schools and 3 for low socio-economic schools).
The 9 selected schools will use the prizes to implement their Challenge Proposals. This will involve developing and implementing a project that describes how Space Technology and the Buzz Aldrin Foundation ‘Giant Mars Map’ can be utilised to link to the Australian Curriculum and stimulate student interest in Space. Schools are encouraged to choose topics relevant to their interests and Australian Curriculum subject links.
The selected projects will be announced in mid-June 2022 and the winners of each school category will receive their awards at the 14th Australian Space Forum in Adelaide on Tuesday October 25th, 2022.
Winners in each school category are announced at the 14th Australian Space Forum.
Applications are now open and close on 27th May 2022.
All interested schools are invited to submit a proposal.
Proposals must address the following topics in an application document outlining:
- The name of the Challenge Project
- Year level and number of students
- How the project will be conducted (in teams, by class or in some other mode)
- Names of lead and supporting teachers
- Principal’s endorsement (including signing off to share any Assessment Tasks/Learning Assessment Plans developed through the Program)
- Outline of the Challenge Project (maximum 1,200 words) in relation to:
- Space Technology and ‘Mars Projects’
- How the project aligns with one of more of the Australian Curriculum Subject Areas
- Outline of the project budget including temporary relief teacher fees, travel/excursion costs to the Australian Space Discovery Centre, Hamilton Secondary College, equipment and material resources and other costs
- How the Challenge project will be conducted during Term 3 (up to 8 weeks in Term 3 including a final recorded presentation and written report to be submitted to the Foundation).
Proposals must be received no later than midnight SA time on Wednesday 27th of May 2022.